Thursday, May 19, 2011

rhubarb oatmeal muffins

My mom showed up at our house the other day with an armful of rhubarb. Apparently, it's really early this year, and going to seed, so she had to "harvest" and share her bounty. Last year when she brought rhubarb over, she had also brought rhubarb muffins, which my husband absolutely loved. So I immediately knew what to do with some of the stalks.


I wasn't going to post this, because, well, muffins are ugly compared to their cousins, the cupcakes, who get all the attention and are so photogenic, and cute! And it's the second muffin recipe this week. But they are so good, I just have to share the recipe! If you grow rhubarb, you probably never have enough recipes that feature it anyway. So just save this one for a rainy day. And if you don't have any fresh rhubarb on hand, I'm sure it works just as well with frozen.

rhubarb oatmeal muffins

In a small bowl, whisk together:

1 cup milk
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1 egg

In a large bowl, combine:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and mix until evenly combined.

Fold in 2 cups chopped rhubarb.

Bake in a 350 oven for 25 minutes.


I love how easily most muffins recipe come together. And most muffins freeze so well too. It's good thing, because I kinda double the recipe without necessarily wanting to. I forgot that I had already added an egg, and I added another one... Oops. So I double everything else, and now we'll be eating rhubarb muffins until next spring.

Not that I mind, because they are incredibly moist, and full of fruit and oats and sugar. And you gotta love the little pockets of tart rhubarb. Yum!


Good thing I still have rhubarb leftover though, as I'm really looking forwards too a blueberry-rhubarb crisp. Stay tuned. That one is amazing!

29 comments:

  1. so do you actually make the oatmeal first, or just use rolled oats??

    ReplyDelete
  2. just rolled oats. thanks for your comment, i'll fix it in the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... love the paper cups, how do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i buy them... don't have the patience to make them myself. search for tulip cupcake liners, they're not that expensive :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very good! I cut the rhubarb up small because my daughter is only 1 and she LOVED them! I will be making them again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a potentially dumb question -- do you use the tulip liners because the muffins puff up that much when baking or do you overfill the muffin tin? Most muffins/cupcakes are filled 2/3 full, I think. Would love to make these this weekend my parents are visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. they don't puff up all that much, i just like the look of tulip cups. they are rather dense and plain lookin, but oh so good! bake as usual, and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to make these. I just ordered the tulip liners from King Arthur Flour. Amazon has them but my order would not go through, plus they were going to charge $15. Shipping for 2 sets of 24 liners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Just made a batch with daughter. Thanks for the recipe. Added some pecans and used buttermilk, turned out delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made these. They're heavenly right out of the oven. Only moderation was that i added cinnamon, which marries well with the tangy rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, love these! Just made them and my family loves then, I cut down the sugar to 1cup, still wonderful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! Is the oven temperature in Celsius or Farenheight?
    Can't wait to try them

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a nice recipe I found that I hope to have time to try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made the muffins, outstanding!
    I did use frozen rhubarb, chopped it and was fine. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Appreciate that the muffin didn't have the usual sweet topping - trying to lose a little weight. I did cut back the sugar, which made it less sweet but still very nice. Might add a little extra rhubarb next time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I were to put the batter in a loaf tin, do you have any thoughts on how much longer I would have to bake it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have been looking for rhubarb recipes to use up our ever-growing stash, and was hoping for something other than jam or cake. These are fantastic! My husband immediately insisted we add them to our muffin rotation. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Has anyone tried adding strawberries? If so..did you add it to the batter or just on top of the muffin?

    ReplyDelete
  20. These were delicious! I like that they are a bit denser

    ReplyDelete
  21. How many muffins does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 regular, or about 8 jumbo sized

      Delete
  22. Do you have the nutrition count?

    ReplyDelete
  23. excellent. But, I reduced sugar by 50% and substituted 1/3 of the flour with whole wheat. Still yummy.


    ReplyDelete
  24. Made these just as recipe stated. Yummy but am going to add some cinnamon next time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Will try these as I have a lot of rhubarb 😊

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you know calorie counter, and also how many muffins does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  27. It would be very helpful to have a nutrition breakdown for these, please.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made these last week with frozen rhubarb, and I added a tsp of cinnamon because I love it. Today I made them again with diced apples, a rounded tsp cinnamon and about 1/8 tsp ground cloves. Really good, might try grated apples next time!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(