Friday, December 28, 2012

eggnog muffins with cranberry filling

On boxing day I was confronted with a massive amount of leftover food from Christmas parties. I had a carton of eggnog that was about to expire, so I had to find creative way to use it before then. I made eggnog waffles, and then turned to the internet to find a muffin recipe that I could make and freeze for lunches when we go back to work and school in January.


I was looking for a muffin recipe that didn't require the use of a mixer, since it was being used for something else, and I didn't have any softened butter I could use for these muffins, so I found what I was looking for at Annie's Eats.

As I was spooning the batter in the cute little baking cups, I thought that I could make use of other leftovers, and added a spoonful of cranberry sauce in each of the half filled baking cups before adding a bit more batter on top.


Eggnog muffins with cranberry filling

recipe lightly adapted from Annie's Eats

Yield: one dozen

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup eggnog
¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sugar

1/4 cup cranberry sauce

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; whisk to combine. In another bowl combine the eggnog, vegetable oil, vinegar, and sugar. Whisk until well blended. Add in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.

Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling the cups 1/2 full. Add a spoonful of cranberry sauce to each liner, and fill each liner 2/3 full with the rest of the batter.  Bake 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


They came out absolutely delicious! My mom used to make muffins filled with jam, and these totally brought back memories. The muffin itself is sweet and flavorful, and very moist. The cranberry sauce complemented the muffin nicely. A nice burst of freshness in the sweet muffin.


It was my first time using the rigid kind of baking cups for muffins. I was happy to see that they kept their shape while baking on a rimmed baking sheet, and pleasantly surprised that did not become discolored while baking by the fat in the batter. So glad I stocked up when I saw them a little while back! So cute!

1 comment:

  1. What a great use of leftover eggnog! That's something I always end up throwing away.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(